homesickness & mindfulness

26.11.2019 12:50 AM

For the past few days, I've started to walk more often. This morning, for instance, I decided to walk to school instead of taking the metro or the bus -- and this is just one of the instances. I feel like I have a lot of "reflecting" to do, and walking really helps with that. It has this thing of clearing one's mind which I find to be quite therapeutic, and I keep finding more and more peace and tranquility in spending time alone. I feel like I'm able to actually listen to myself. And so, I've started to listen to music more, write more, think more and as I've already said, walk more.

In fact, today, as I was walking back home from Spanish class and as I was observing the sky, I suddenly had a thought. I thought about how I was sharing the same sky with those who are far away from me, and this thought gave me a feeling of comfort. I'm not certain why I found it comforting, maybe because I'm really sick of being away from people I love, and moreover, people I'm used to having around. And this thought helps remind me that I'm never really that far away from those people.

I know that it's normal to be missing home, and the things that remind me of it -- I'm not saying that it's unusual, maybe just unusual for me. It definitely is a new feeling, as I have never been so far away from home for so long; not to mention, on my own.

I will be visiting in twenty five days and I would say that that's still a very long time, considering how much can change in so little time. I can't help but wonder what kind of emotions I will be feeling, how my life will be by then... I'm pretty sure I will have different worries, maybe even different people in my life; different short-term goals... Time has always been a fascinating concept to me in this manner.

26.11.2019 5 PM

Lately, I’ve started to appreciate the beauty of spending quality time alone. For instance, it’s incredibly relaxing to just go into a coffee shop by yourself, sit down and start sipping your hot beverage. I find that it’s a great way to clear your mind. Now don’t get me wrong, I like to spend time with friends, but only to a certain extent. Because the moment when I finally get to be by myself is priceless, whether it be going home or doing something like sitting at a coffee shop. And that is exactly what I’m doing right about now. I’ve just had lunch with a friend, but I didn’t want to go home right away because the sun in shining and I needed hot chocolate anyway. So, what better excuse? I happen to also really like this location. The view from where I’m sitting is absolutely astonishing. There’s the view of this really old and beautiful university building. And a busy street light... I don’t exactly know what it is with busy street lights but I find it very soothing to be sitting here, on the other side of the window, while there’s tons of people around who are going about their lives.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Y (compilation)

a tribue to amy (and a realization) on july 11

artık ölmek istiyorum